Monday, February 9, 2009

Conflict Mediation & random thoughts

Love this topic. Not that I love conflict, but the topic and information covered go hand in hand with a lot of the work I do as a counselor. In my experience, both personally and professionally, one of the biggest challenges is getting people away from the "I have to win" or one of us has to be wrong concept. A productive answer does not have to be a study in dichotomy. The real skill comes in the communication and the negotiation. Also in helping individuals to identify what kind of modality they use in addressing conflict. On a personal level, I see a lot of avoidance and accomodation issues in people around me; at work I see a lot of compromise and collaboration, but also a lot of competition. I agree that there is a time and a place to employ any one of these -- knowing when to use which technique is the skill.

Regarding the 2/7/09 symposium at UCSB. Outstanding. I wish we could have heard more from Dr. Sally Kingston as I felt she was trying to take a lot of information and condense it into a much shorter time frame for us. Jack O'connell was fantastic -- and very funny -- which I appreciate. All in all a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment